Thursday, February 17, 2011

Trabzon Part 1

Hi everyone! Sorry about the lack of updates, my life has picked up considerably as I've started doing a private lesson at work twice a week and my own personal private student three days a week! It's good practice and money but I miss leisurely mornings to go to the gym, or study Turkish or read. Oh well! It's also good to be busy, I like to feel productive.

This weekend Cengiz and I slipped away to Trabzon, the city he grew up in, in the north eastern part of Turkey, on the Black Sea. My students have always told me it's one of the most beautiful cities in Turkey, due to its location on the sea and then snow covered mountains in the background. There is a lot of nature, no traffic problems, and clean, fresh air. I liked it there and I want to go again, especially when it isn't so cold! The reason we went to Trabzon was to go to the wedding of two of his school friends. Before the wedding on Saturday night, we did some sightseeing around Trabzon.



After breakfast. On the left is one of the friends going to the wedding, Cagatay, then Cengiz, and then Cengiz's best friend Birol, and Birol's girlfriend, Nusra (?).





If I date a guy from Trabzon, I have to become a fan of their football team. Cengiz helped me out by buying me a hat. Fortunately, he's not interested in football, but just supports his team. I was also happy to have the hat because it was a bit cold!

The wedding was much different than an American wedding. The only food and drink served was coke, fanta, and some cookies, and we didn't actually see the couple get married, so I guess we were only at the party. Because there isn't food, that isn't the main focus of the party, but dancing is. I actually kind of enjoy dancing sometimes, but the dancing here had specific steps which I didn't know. I really enjoyed watching and listening to the music. Unfortunately my internet is really slow right now so I can't put too much up but I will later because I want you to see the dancing and hear the music! Especially Cengiz's crazy dance moves (he used to be a professional folk dancer...what doesn't he do?).




Now it is late, I will post more later about the rest of the trip. Take car

No comments:

Post a Comment